5 year contract
The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a dynamic and cosmopolitan university, rooted in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on achieving Global Excellence and Stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainability, and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision to “position UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) within the context of Africa’s social, political and economic evolution”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a compulsory vaccination site in accordance with the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment depend on compliance with said policy.
UJ is seeking to appoint a dynamic, dynamic and innovative scholar with a commitment to global excellence and stature to lead its School of Economics (SoE) as Director (Associate Professor/Professor).
The main activity of the SoE is to train economists in various fields of economics (financial engineering, industrial economics and trade economics.)
The school consists of the following distinct groups:
- Development economics.
- Financial engineering.
- Local Economic Development (which includes CENLED – Center for Local Economic Development).
- Industrial Policy (which includes the program of the Institute of Economic Development and Planning (IDEP)).
- Research pole.
- Center for Research in Public Economics and the Environment.
- Center for Competition Regulation and Economic Development
- MCom by Research Pole and Doctorate.
The undergraduate and specialization programs are designed to prepare students (in terms of content and econometric skills) for the various magister and doctoral programs:
- Master in Financial Engineering.
- Masters in Economics.
- Master in local economic development.
- Master in Industrial Policy.
- Master in Competition and Regulation.
- Master in Development Economics.
A full doctoral program is also offered by the SoE.
The SoE Director must ensure that the school contributes substantially to tangible business improvements in Africa, including through the practice and development of marketing analytics to inform, evaluate and optimize campaigns, enriching strategy with contextual knowledge and using technology to achieve organizational goals.
The principal must be able to position the school to be seen as a valuable partner by the private and public sectors for consultation and collaboration. The role will provide managerial and strategic leadership to ensure the achievement and maintenance of the highest possible standards of excellence in all School activities by:
- Provide strategic leadership to ensure excellence in teaching and learning at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Determine, articulate, implement and lead strategic initiatives aimed at enhancing the School’s reputation and performance in teaching and scholarship in accordance with College of Business and Economics strategy and the College’s strategic plans and objectives the University aiming to build global excellence and stature.
- Provide strategic leadership to ensure productive, innovative and influential research and promote transformation in terms of academic profile, academic programs and research.
- To provide academic citizenship and leadership in building and maintaining strong networks with the private and public sectors and related institutions in South Africa and beyond.
- Promote the visibility of the School through networks, partnerships and collaborations with the private and public sector and with civil society, in projects of local, African and global interest and active participation in debates on issues and critical policies.
- Leverage external resources and increase third stream revenue, and ensure the financial viability of the SoE.
- Promote world-class management education and pedagogy, including online curriculum development and teaching and learning scholarship.
- Ensure the highest level of governance, administration, and operation of school systems, including enrollment planning, student academic lifecycle management, and risk management.
- Actively promote the transformation of the School, in terms of staff profile, academic programs and research.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A PhD in economics/econometrics or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in university-related university governance.
- An excellent academic/professional record of achievement.
- A good reputation in the academic/public/private sectors and senior management/public sector experience.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of professional staff, students and programs.
- Research/innovation track record relevant to the school context.
- High-level governance, management, administration and systems capabilities, including financial acumen and public accountability.
- Results-oriented, forward-thinking, dynamic and innovative.
- An excellent public profile and good knowledge of the media complemented by academic/professional rigour.
- A record of successful teaching, post-graduate supervision of completed Masters and PhD students.
- High-level interdisciplinary scholarship in the field of economics as well as knowledge of the higher education sector.
- Excellent leadership, management and interpersonal skills and must have achieved a substantial academic standard to command the respect of school members.
- An excellent research reputation evidenced by a sustained record of research results.
- Evidence of effective external engagement (academia, business community and wider society) is highly desirable and applicants should demonstrate a commitment to such activities with the ultimate goal of building long-term relationships and funding with key stakeholders globally, in line with the school’s mission. and UJ’s strategy and vision as a leading African higher education institution with exceptional global stature.
- A successful experience in obtaining national and international funding.
- UJ’s promotion criteria will be applied when shortlisting for this position.
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
- By default, this is a five-year CDD position. Subject to financial viability and outstanding performance, the candidate may be renewed for another five years.
- The university will also consider outstanding and/or NRF-ranked scholars, for a fallback or permanent academic position. The evaluation will be contingent on the successful attraction of external funding.
- The normal retirement age is 65. Candidates who would be able to serve for a term of five years will be considered.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIORAL ATTRIBUTES:
- Good leadership and managerial skills.
- Knowledge of human resources management.
- Ability to conduct and apply research and direct research.
- Ability to build relationships and networks.
- Ability to oversee high-level execution of mission and vision.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and coordinate multiple inputs with tight deadlines and a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work with university professors and facilitate high levels of performance.
- Ability to relate to the student experience of studying towards a leadership qualification.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate ability to solve problems.
- Establish and maintain productive relationships.
- Excellent organizational, planning and multi-tasking skills.
- The ability to work independently with personal drive and energy and to take responsibility and be held accountable for the results of one’s role.
- Excellent attention to detail while understanding the big picture and being able to communicate the same to senior management and external stakeholders.
- Excellent delegation skills.
- Flexibility, tenacity, resilience and assertiveness.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and ability to adapt communication to a wide range of audiences.
- Rated by the National Research Foundation (NRF) or meets the NRF rating criteria in the South African system (holder will need to apply if not rated; see https://www.nrf.ac.za/rating ).
Inquiries regarding job content and candidacy: Mr. Eugene-Joshua Mouton, HCM Business Partner, Tel. : 011 559 3878
Your application, including a detailed Curriculum Vitae and full names and contact details (including phone numbers and email addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees, must be uploaded on or before the closing date of the advertised position. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic degree, proof of registration with professional bodies you may belong to, and, if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research results and/or or a portfolio of your creative output.
Applications (UJ e-Recruitment Portal)
If you have general questions regarding the advertised position, please send an e-mail with the subject line of the position reference number to email@example.com
If you need technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment site, please contact our service provider PNET at the following coordinates: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants may be subject to appropriate psychometric tests and other selection instruments.
In addition to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievement, the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to people with disabilities and people from historically disadvantaged groups. Depending on operational needs, the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to advertised positions. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.