FACULTY OF NATURAL AND AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMY, EXTENSION AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above position.
The University of Pretoria’s commitment to quality makes us one of the best research universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in the international development of science and technology.
The Department of Agricultural Economics, Extension and Rural Development is embarking on a strategic plan to lead the transformation of Africa’s agricultural and food systems by conducting influential research and preparing our graduates to play a role in shaping the Africa’s economic, social and development pathways during the transition from the Sustainable Development Goals to the next era of development after 2030. The department is looking for a Senior Lecturer in Environmental Economics to join our dynamic team in this endeavor and build a solid research program that addresses critical contemporary issues of environmental science in Africa.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Postgraduate education in applied microeconomics, macroeconomics and economics of the environment / natural resources;
- Supervise postgraduate students in fields relevant to econometrics and environmental / natural resource economics;
- Supervise fourth year agricultural economics research projects;
- Conduct research and publish articles in leading accredited journals in the above fields;
- Raise funds to support existing research programs and / or initiate new ones in the above areas;
- Academic management.
- Appropriate master’s and doctoral degrees;
- Evidence of publications in accredited journals relevant to the above fields;
- Evidence of successful supervision / co-supervision of Masters students or staff mentoring;
- At least three years of teaching and / or research experience in areas of micro / macroeconomics and / or environmental / natural resource economics.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Experience and skills in advanced statistical analysis with a recognized international statistical software package (preferably in R programming);
- The ability to develop a world-class research program;
- Able to demonstrate innovation in teaching, experience in delivering blended learning and using technology to improve learner performance;
- Able to be innovative and to present new ideas on how to expand research capacity in relevant field;
- Proof of active participation in a network of researchers in Africa and / or internationally.
The annual remuneration envelope will be proportional to the incumbent’s appointment level, as determined by the guidelines of the UP policy. UP adheres to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid plans and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za and follow the link: Careers @ UP.
When applying for these positions, please attach:
- A complete CV in UP format;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three references whom we are authorized to contact;
- Names and contact details of three peer reviewers (academics and researchers);
- Teaching portfolio;
- Self evaluation.
CLOSING DATE: December 15, 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not meet at least the minimum requirements.
Ms. A Hlatshwayo, e-mail: email@example.com for application inquiries, and Professor Sheryl Hendriks, e-mail: Sheryl.firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries information about the content of the message.
If you have not heard from the University of Pretoria by February 28, 2022, please accept that your application has not been successful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the University’s Employment Equity Plan and its employment equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but not limited to, applicants from designated sub-groups. represented.
All applicants who meet the nomination requirements are welcome to apply. All applicants agree to submit to verification of their personal identification information.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to fill advertised positions.